MICHIGAN HABITAT IMPROVEMENT FUND PROGRAM GRANTS
To provide funds for projects on the Manistee, Muskegon and AuSable rivers to improve and
enhance fisheries and aquatic resources affected by the operation of Consumers Energy
Company’s hydropower projects. These projects include fisheries habitat restoration and
enhancement, preparing comprehensive river management plans, aquatic studies, fisheries
recreation, water quality improvement and soil erosion control activities on these three rivers.
1. The proposed project must be needed in the area.
2. Degree to which the project meets one of the needs, areas of concern, or
management direction indicated by the river assessments, river management plans,
or Fisheries Division priorities and supported by the project coordinator
3. Length of time the project will provide benefits
4. Impact on future research projects such as enhancement to increase natural
recruitment thereby reducing future costs of stocking
5. Reduction of future expenditures or direct expenditures in a positive manner
6. Size of area that will benefit from the proposed project
7. Proposed project benefits compared to the costs
8. Applicant has made preliminary arrangements with appropriate contractors for
completion of the proposed project.
9. Proposed projects having match funds available will be given preference.
All units of government, nonprofit organizations, and individuals willing to develop and complete
projects located in the watersheds for the three river systems where the Consumers Energy
Company hydropower projects are located.
Funds available in the fall if applications are accepted for award.